- The World Wide Web is totally unregulated. ANYONE can post ANY information.
- There is a tremendous amount of useful information, unfortunately, there is just as
much misleading information. (There may be significant advertising bias, it could be
just one person’s opinion, it could be a spoof or a lie).
- Therefore it is completely up to the reader to watch out for misleading information
- Remember, each patient is unique, so discuss what you find on the web with your
What to watch for
- The source of the web page. (Who is backing the information? Is it an organization
that you already have confidence in?)
- Is there advertising bias? (Are they just trying to get you to buy their product or
- Is the information supported by other unrelated sources? (Question sites that
disregard other sources of knowledge, or rely solely on themselves).
- When was the information last updated?